Graphic Novels are incredibly popular. We have all read them. Most of us have an idea for our own.
"A graphic novel is a narrative work in which the story is conveyed to the reader using comic form." (from Wikipedia)
Submit the "Concept" for your graphic novel. Compete for a scholarship!
Here are some examples of popular graphic novels - the next generation of comic books that are generating a ton of interest!
A concept is made up of at least two things. A graphic that in some way represents your novel, and a brief synopsis of the book . You are welcome to include up to four (4) additional graphics if you have them. Maybe some of the key characters or locations where the story will take place.
We are flexible in the graphic that you provide. It can be something that you drew by hand and then scanned in. Or better yet - it can be something that you created on a computer. Just make sure that it conveys as much as you can about your graphic novel.
Note: All submissions will be hidden until the scholarship closes. At that point, we will make all of them visible. Look for a email message letting you know that the submission was successful (may take up to an hour to receive).
Here is a summary of the rules.
- Create a concept for a graphic novel
- Include at least one graphic (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- Include a synopsis (add to the "Description" section of the entry)
- Optionally include up to four (4) additional graphics (.jpg, .png, .gif)
- U.S. resident only between 13 and 18 years of age (as of the close of the scholarship)
- Your own creation, NO copyrighted violations (see make-it-legal for more on this)
- Submissions must be made by April 15, 2010 at 11:59pm (PST)
The judging will be completed by FreshBrain staff and will be based on the following criteria. Please see the official rules for more details.
- Creativity (35%)
- Use of Technology (25%)
- Fit and finish (25%)
- Age Appropriateness (15%)
There will be three scholarship winners.
- First prize (winner) - $1500
- Second prize (runner up) - $1000
- Third prize (honorable mention) - $500