Here are the steps to follow when you want to make a YouTube video.
1. Get ahold of a video camera or webcam, and do a few tests to make sure that you can record video on it and get it onto your computer to view it.
2. Think about lighting and audio for your subject. Try to make sure that your subject is well-lit and that the audio comes through the camera adequately.
3. Shoot your video. Get more footage than you need, because you can always cut it out later, but it's more difficult to add footage that you didn't shoot in the first place.
4. Get your video files onto your computer. Depending on your camera, there are different paths to make this happen. You might be able to connect your camera via USB and have the files show up on your desktop. You might have to log and capture the footage in your video editing software, connecting your camera via firewire. If you recorded your video on a webcam, the files might automagically appear on your desktop. Consult the guides for your specific hardware if you're having trouble.
5. Make sure you know your editor before you begin editing. Whichever editor you choose has training guides associated with it--whether it's Mac iMovie, Windows MovieMaker, Jahshaka, or any other. Make sure you can perform a few simple tasks in your editor before importing your footage.
6. Import your footage into your editor. Now you can go wild! Cut your video to your liking, and add music, titles, and effects. When you're done, export your final project into a common video file, like .mpg4 or .mov. Watched the finished movie to make sure everything is to your liking.
7. Create a YouTube account. Go to http://www.youtube.com/ and create your account. Upload your video there and feel the power of your video's instant global distribution!