Welcome After School Programs!
FreshBrain is a great resource for use in your program. It is progressive, educational, safe, fun and FREE.
FreshBrain provides a safe social-networking-based website where teens can explore, connect, create, and share with technology. In the FreshBrain environment teens participate in fun and educational activities and projects while learning the technology and 21st century skills that they need to be successful.
How FreshBrain Helps YOU!
TEACHER / STAFF
|Make your class more interesting, educational and fun - while saving you time! Leave the complexity of technology to us.|
Establish your school as innovative and progressive. Deliver Technology and 21st Century Skills your students need to be successful. And it is FREE.
|Stay current with technology while saving time with FreshBrain's "software as a service" (SAAS) secure and scalable platform. All you need are computers connected to the internet.|
There are lots of ways to use FreshBrain in your after school program. Here are some examples.
FreshBrain is perfect for your summer program. Please see our Summer Programs page for more information.
Boys & Girls Club
The Boys & Girls Clubs provide a wonderful environment for kids after school and over the summer. They provide lots of fun and educational things for them to do.
The Boys & Girls Club of Silicon Valley used the FreshBrain Summer Virtual Technology Camp as part of their summer program. They took advantage of three Learning Paths with their teens - leveraging the computer lab that they had to provide the kids with something fun. The Learning Paths that they focused on were:
The results were great!
We are now working with the Boys & Girls Club to take full advantage of FreshBrain throughout the year. We have groups for the clubhouses. Here they can find:
- Cool Activities and Learning Paths
- Contests and Scholarship
- Interesting Groups
- Other Updates
The Girl Scouts organization has been influencing the development of girls and young women for years. Their program is complete and well run. FreshBrain has begun working with the Girl Scouts of Northern California to virtualize their Interest Projects (IPs - badges for "seniors"). There are a number of reasons the Girl Scouts are interested in doing this.
- Bring social networking and other new technologies to the girls
- Allow the girls to work together, interact and share across Areas, Councils and Troops
- Open up a new world of badge opportunities from the content on FreshBrain
- Keep some of the older girls interested in STEM and Girl Scouts
- Allow for more sharing of information across Areas, Councils and Troops
We will be working with the Girl Scouts to implement this in three phases.
- Implement 5 existing IPs plus 1 new FreshBrain inspired IPs
- Implement 25 existing IPs, 2-5 new FreshBrain inspired IPs and groups for Troops
- Implement the remaining existing IPs (~75 in total ), 2-5 new FreshBrain inspired IPs and groups for Areas and Councils
This is very exciting and a perfect way to leverage the value that FreshBrain has to offer!
Robotics is really popular with teens, and as a result most high schools have Robotics Clubs. These Robotics Clubs follow a similar process.
- Decide which competitions to participate in
- Create teams
- Get a parent or teacher to work with them
- Buy the robot kit or parts they need (fundraise)
- Build their robot, program it and compete
There are a number of problem with this.
- It is hard for inexperienced kids to participate
- It is expensive
- There isn't much to do outside of the robot competitions
FreshBrain is starting to work with a clubs to have then use the new Robotics Technology Area. They can use the Learning Paths to teach inexperienced members how to program robots and hold their own virtual competitions.
If this sounds interesting to you, please check out our Getting Started page.
If you need help, please contact us - firstname.lastname@example.org.