This activity will get you started on working with the Greenfoot IDE (Integrated Design Environment). In this activity, you will:
- download and install Greenfoot.
- download and install Java
- read the Greenfoot tutorial and follow the instructions.
- add wombats and leaves to a scenario and run it.
Skills you will learn include:
- develop familiarity with the Greenfoot integrated development environment (IDE).
- Visit the Greenfoot Getting Started page.
- Read the section on “Install the Software”.
- If you don’t have the Java JDK (Java Development Kit) on your machine, follow the instructions to download and install the JDK. Very important: If you only have the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), you will still need the full JDK. Version 5 or later is required. Version 6 is available at the time of this writing.
- Visit the Greenfoot Download page to download and install Greenfoot.
- Visit Greenfoot’s Wombat tutorial. You may review the Foreword and Installation OR
- go straight to The WOMBATS Scenario section of the tutorial.
- Follow the instructions under Getting Started. When you get to the Programming section of the tutorial, you can stop; the material in the Programming section will be covered in greater detail in other activities. When completed, you will have learned how to add objects to a wombat world, run the scenario and inspect the objects in the scenario. You will also have learned about classes, objects, methods. Visit Starting on the Right Foot with Greenfoot: Digging Deeper for additional information to supplement the discussion in the Wombat Tutorial. Note: The material in the Programming section is considered purely optional. Some will find it a good challenge. Others may benefit from completing more of the Learning Path activities with their concepts and explanations first. Feel free to follow either path.
- Please read the following instructions for preparing your work prior to submission to this activity.
- Select Scenario -> Export. Choose Webpage (from Publish, Webpage, Application) and select a location to save Wombats as an applet (a jar file and a .html file).
- Submit the exported jar file for this activity.