In the Android Mobile Phone Applications learning path, you learned to use the Eclipse IDE and the Google Android SDK to build applications for the next generation of Android-powered smart phones. The resulting appilcation, called MBellish, allows a user to take pictures with their phone, decorate them with text and clipart, and then send them to their friends via email or MMS.
Now comes the challenge. What would be a cool addition to the MBellish application? What would be a great user interface that would make the feature easy and fun to use? This is where you take your experience with using your mobile phone, mix it with your creative energy, add the new skills you just learned, and create something that everyone will want to have.
Add a new feature, or features, to the MBellish application. For inspiration, you might try looking at desktop photo editing applications, like GIMP, and see what features they provide. Think about which of those features might be cool to have on your phone. Design your new feature, code it up, and give MBellish some new power!
The contest is pretty open. The details are not very detailed. Get creative, and have fun!
- Come up with concept for your new feature
- Code it up in the MBellish project you created in the G1 Mobile Phone Applications learning path
- When finished, submit your application as a Android Package (.apk) file. To find the application .apk, look in your Project directory, there should be a directory (folder) called bin. In the bin directory, there will be a file called ProjectName.apk. That is the file to submit. To find your Project directory, right-click on the Project in Eclipse, select Properties, and then look at the Location field on the Resource page. That is the Project directory.
- Good luck!
Here is a summary.
- Must be US resident age 13-18 to participate
- Must have completed the "Build a Mobile Phone App" learning path
- The submission must be your own work
- Submit an Android Package (.apk) file
- Submit between 6/15/09 and midnight pacific 8/17/09
- Enter as many times as you would like!
Please be sure to review the complete set of rules.
There are three prizes for the contest.
- First prize - G1 Phone, 90 day activation and $500 Cash
- Second prize - G1 Phone, 90 day activation and $250 Cash
- Third prize - $100 Cash
For more on prizes, please see the official rules.